Sunday, March 31, 2013

Plug: Amazon Prime


Note: this blog has been migrated to Medium, with the articles here available to preserve permalinks Please see this post at https://medium.com/@ianrbuck/plug-amazon-prime-d5415a9b39f8

Many people don't realize it, but Amazon Prime is probably the best subscription deal on the internet. I discovered it through their six month trial for students, and I am hooked. Not only do you get free two-day shipping on most items, but you also basically get Netflix for cheaper. This year I used it to watch all ten seasons of Stargate SG-1 and all five seasons of Stargate Atlantis (which alone is worth way more than the $40 a year that it costs me.)
Prime also has another advantage over Netflix; Netflix has to wait until an entire season of ongoing shows has come out before they have it. I'm pretty sure that this is because they follow the DVD release schedule. Amazon Prime, on the other hand, usually has episodes available the day after they air. The only catch is that it usually costs $2-$3 for each new episode. For a show like Doctor Who I am definitely willing to pay that much to watch each episode as they come out.

Thanks Amazon, for replacing my TV channels and DVD collection all at once.